Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Holy Thunderstorms Batman!!

I had to write a quick comment as I sit through (one of the few I haven't been caught in) our third or fourth consecutive, unrelenting, afternoon downpour. I have never lived anywhere before that actually had a "rainy season." Uganda has two. This one officially started yesterday, but it really started three days ago. It's pretty wild as each day starts out very nice, then gets hot in the middle of the day and then, sure enough, each afternoon between 2-4 you see a dark cloud coming in from the east and within minutes it's dumping sheets of rain....enough in each storm to drown Santa Barbara, but doesn't even phase Mbarara. It will rain, thunder, and lightening for 30min to an hour and then clear up beautifully in time for me to head off to school. You can imagine how green it is here and we will never have to worry about water conservation. I also get to use umbrellas for the first time in my life, which my Scottish wife thought was totally obnoxious.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Yes- totally obnoxious to be 36 and not know how to use an umbrella??

annandjeff said...

Hi you two!!
What a wonderful surprise you find you here!!
Jeff and I have been thinking so much about you and I was hoping you'd still be blogging... ever since the margie party we have been saying how wonderful and in love and happy you two look together!
Keep up the great adventure!!
Mgubab ababyu Mzunguggu (We love you whitey!!)
-Anna and Jeff

Goodthingsfrommamat said...

Lynnie, I am so happy for you both. I checked out the wedding pictures and it looked beautiful. You both look so happy! I am so excited for you and your amazing adventure. I must admit I am a little jealous by your ability to up and move and save the world, but not all of us can be a superhero. Can't wait to hear more, especially about the hospital. Teresa

Lynn said...

Anna, Jeff and Teresa!
It must be raining in California to have you guys inside reading our blog?! So great to hear from you. Anna- I had no idea that you spoke runyankole (the local language)! Teresa- I suspose you do too?
Lots of love!
Lynn

Annie said...

How funny. My hub is the Scot and I'm the American and we're in Mbarara as well. He doesn't like brollies either.