Saturday, April 11, 2009

Top Tens


Top ten things you can buy in Mbarara for 2000 USh ($1)

  1. One kg of dried garbanzo beans (several kgs after soaking)
  2. A third of a can of imported Pringles potato chips
  3. 2km Bodaboda ride in and out of town. Twice.
  4. A single blood sugar check in the medical ward of the hospital
  5. Ten large avocados
  6. A week's course of oral ciprofloxacin
  7. A single pirated DVD rental (with a vague return date...)
  8. A liter of petrol
  9. Two large pineapples
  10. A large plate of matoke (mashed plantains) and beans

Top ten things to do with visitors to Uganda
  1. Boat trip down the Kazinga Channel: hippos, crocs, buffalo, birds galore...
  2. Rafting down the Nile- survivable but may leave a mark
  3. Seeing the tree-climbing lions in Ishasha
  4. Drinking cold (always relative) Nile Special beer
  5. Cautiously tasting "home-brewed" banana gin (oogie) from deep in the village
  6. Swimming and Scrabble at Lake Bunyoni
  7. Chimp trek in the Kyambura Gorge
  8. Drinking sundowners on the deck at Ndali, overlooking the Rwenzoris
  9. Waiting 30 minutes for a temperamental female elephant to finish lunch
  10. Waking up in one of the tents at the Nile Porch- ahhhh!!!!!!!
Top ten favorties from my evening runs
  1. Endorphins- enough said
  2. At least 3 people saying "thank you for the exercise!" as I run by- I take it to mean "good job", but a great Uganda-ism...
  3. The soft dirt roads that are perfect for a gentle jog most evenings
  4. The 5-year-olds who drop what they are doing to run next to me until a better distraction comes along
  5. The sky at dusk- stunning and different every night
  6. The views from the top of the hill behind our house- 3600
  7. The perfect running temperature- always
  8. The offer of barbecued goat as I run past the old market- almost like a marathon aid station, I suppose
  9. The hills- okay, I don't always love them, but I know I should...
  10. The bodaboda drivers who always offer me a ride home in the middle of my run- do I really look like I need it???

2 comments:

Story teller - Krishnadas Dwija said...

Reading that makes me want to ask questions. If I may...

Is the water sweet or salty there?
How nice or rude are the drivers?
Do you see many pets there, if so what animals?
Are the currency notes crisp? (I admit that is a strange question, but I am curious)

I pray, I shall make it some day to somewhere other than here. I find thinking about africa a lot more fun that america or europe, is that strange?

Julie Nisbet said...

i love it! after reading that i am more sad than ever that i couldn't make it out to see you guys.

love you tons!!

xoxo

jules