Monday, August 25, 2008

Soccer can save the world!!

For decades now soccer or futbol has been considered the most popular sport in the world, except in America of course…go figure. Well it has proven to me, once again, to easily live up to its reputation not only as a popular sport, but also as the easiest way to bring different people and cultures together without any political ramifications. I have played pick up soccer games next to temples in China, on the beaches of Thailand, on the steps of a 500 year old cathedral in Peru, and now with some kids on a field in Uganda in a little village I happened to be jogging through. Lynn had the great idea of bringing some balls over here to give out to kids who could really use them so I brought 4 soccer balls, a volleyball, and a basketball. My friends Matt,Helen and I ended up playing with these kids for about an hour and, of course, the ball they were using was on its last legs so I told them I would bring them a new ball the next day. I brought the ball as promised and met their two coaches David and Moses. They were all very excited and David explained that he didn’t actually know a whole lot about coaching soccer so less than a week into my stay I have become the unofficial third coach of the under 14 boys team from Nyamitanga village. The kids are amazing, full of energy and excitement even while they share uniforms and play barefoot, but play just as hard and have just as much fun as any other kid around the world. Playing a game of soccer should be required during any political round table or negotiation as there is no better method of diplomacy that exists today.

1 comment:

Julie Nisbet said...

I had completely forgotten about your blog and am so happy that I rediscovered it! its now bookmarked and I'll be checking it in between case studies and accounting homework!!

I miss you guys tons. Danny, I think its so cool you're coaching and I'm sure those kids are soooo happy to have met the tall mizungo from california =)

xo Jules